A portion of the Federal Ministry of Finance Headquarters located at the Central Area of the Federal Capital Territory was gutted by fire on Wednesday.
The incident was said to have been caused by an explosion from one of the batteries in the room where the ministry’s inverter was installed.
About 16 batteries were said to have been affected.
A staff of the Ministry of Finance told reporters that the fire incident occurred in the basement of the building.
He said, “There was fire but it wasn’t serious. It occurred in the basement of the building and was caused by a spark in the inverter room. The incident was minor and didn’t cause significant damage.”
Speaking with journalists on the premises of the ministry, the spokesperson of the Ministry, Olajide Oshundun, said smoke from the fire was first noticed by the staff of the ministry.
He said the fire was quickly put out even before the arrival of the Federal Fire Service.
Oshundun said, “At about 6.50am, some staff of the Ministry noticed smoke emanating from the room that housed the battery for the inverter.
“Necessary alarm was raised and the internally provided fire fighting equipment was deployed. Within about 15-20 minutes, the fire was put out.
“Information was also sent to the Federal Fire Service system. Before they came, everything had been brought under control.
“The fire emanated from an exploded battery which then affected other batteries; about 16 batteries were affected. It only affected the battery compartment at the base of the Ministry, it did not affect other parts of the building.”