Four children have been electrocuted at Oke igbo town, Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local government area of Ondo State after a newly installed power cable fell on the container-turned- shop they were in.

The incident reportedly happened last Thursday.

Two of the victims were siblings who visited their aunt for the Easter holiday.

Witnesses said the children were playing inside a container turned shop when a newly installed power line cable fell on the container.

One of the survivors, whose name is Blessing, said: “We were playing and suddenly, power was restored. So, we shouted ‘up NEPA.” Immediately, we heard the sparkling sound and we ran out of the shop, not knowing that the new cable wire had cut and fell on my mummy’s container shop.

“As we ran out of the container, the wire trapped our legs and we could not walk again. So, I sat on the plank that was close to me, but the remaining children started shaking and vomiting blood.

“I shouted for help and people came to rescue us and we were rushed to the General hospital, Ile-Oluji,” she said.

Owner of the shop, Mrs Ronke Adebiyi, said she was not present when the incident occurred.

“In the evening, I received a call that my shop was burning. So, I ran down to check on my children. On getting there, I saw people gathered and I kept asking, “ Where are my children. Later, one of them, Blessing ran out of the shop, but others were lying on the floor.

“They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. So, four later gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not critical as she can walk and talk.

“The remaining two were taken to Trauma Centre in Ondo for treatment. One has been discharged, but the second child has been referred to OAU Teaching Hospital for treatment. Two out of the four children are my sister’s daughter. They came for holiday.”

The Senator representing Ondo South, Nicholas Tofowomo, said he would ensure the parents get Justice if the BEDC were found culpable in the tragedy.

He, however, cautioned against erecting buildings or shops under high tension cable or any power supply line.

His words: “We cannot allow lawlessness to continue in this country. I will pursue justice for the parents if investigations showed culpability of the BEDC.

“Moreover, the government must do its job by not allowing shops or buildings to be erected under power lines. The lives of these precious children would not have been wasted if individuals do their jobs accordingly.”

Spokesman for the BEDC in Ondo, Micheal Barnabas, could not be reached for comments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

ArabicChinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchHausaIgboYoruba