The Prelate of the Methodist Church of Nigeria, His Eminence Samuel Uche, abducted by gunmen on Tuesday said N100 million was paid as ransom before he was released.
Uche, who spoke at a press conference in Lagos, said the monies were arranged in five sacks of N20 million each.
He said the funds were raised by the Methodist church in Nigeria, as neither the federal nor state government, not even the military or police intervened.
The cleric was kidnapped on Sunday in Abia State but was released on Monday.
He was kidnapped alongside two others, Methodist Bishop of Owerri Diocese, Rt. Rev. Dennis Mark and the Prelate’s chaplain Very Rev. Shittu.
The Abia State government had earlier claimed that the Prelate was released through divine intervention.
It claimed that the Prelate’s abductors must have realised their mistakes as he and his Bishop and Chaplain were released unconditionally without ransom payment.
Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Onyebuchi Ememanka, quoting his principal, stated that their release was through “grace of God, the fervent prayers of the Christian community and the well-coordinated response from security agencies in Abia State.