THE COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE MONTHLY CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ONDO STATE COUNCIL, HELD ON THURSDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER, 2022 AT THE PRESS CENTRE, PEN CRESCENT, ALAGBAKA-AKURE
_The meeting presided over by the Chairman, Prince Leke Adegbite and well attended by members, including the State Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Chief (Mrs) Bamidele Ademola-Olateju, deliberated on sundry issues and the following decisions were taken;_
1. That the Congress deliberated on the welfare and careers of our members, especially those in service of the Ondo State Government and notes with delight the swift responses of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, to some of the Union’s demands during the recent leadership visit to him, particularly welfare of Retirees of Owena Press Limited (The Hope Newspaper).
2. That the Congress appreciates the recent donations of some Government’s top officials towards ongoing Face-Lift of facilities at our NUJ Press Centre, especially the State Commissioner for Infrastructure, Lands & Housing, Engr Raimi Aminu; the Commissioner for Information & Orientation, Chief (Mrs) Bamidele Ademola-Olateju and the State Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr Richard Olatunde.
3. (i). That as political Campaigns Takeoff nationwide, the NUJ Congress charges political gladiators including Candidates in the forthcoming 2023 General Election to be mindful of Fake Journalists and report case(s) of professional misconducts to Ondo NUJ for appropriate actions.
(ii). The Union warns individuals parading themselves as media professionals trying to exploit unsuspecting VIPs in the state/Akure Airport or Candidates, to desist or be ready to face full weight of the law, as NUJ Taskforce is working with Security Operatives to fight quackery in the media industry.
4. (i). That the Congress describes the continuous neglect of deplorable Akure-Ado Ekiti road as not only unfortunate but embarrassing, and called on the Federal Government as well as Ondo and Ekiti State Governments, to urgently find permanent end to people’s suffering on the road.
(ii). That the Union hails the State Government over the ongoing rehabilitation of pot-holes on roads across the Capital City, pleads with the Ministry of Infrastructure, Lands & Housing to urgently complete ongoing construction of Akure-Oda road and attend to ‘collapsed Adebowale junction -Apomu road’ immediately after the rainy season in view of economic benefits of the roads.
5. That the Congress calls on the Ondo State Ministry of Environment and 18 Local Government Authorities to clear waterways and drainage in Akure metropolis and other parts of the state to prevent flooding.
6. That the Congress notes with concern the Rising costs of food items and other agricultural produce in Ondo State and most parts of the country, and advises Government to come up with special Policy to cut down or subsidize high prices of Agric Inputs, while activities of Middlemen should be regulated at various markets by Government.
7. That the Congress threw its weight behind the Southwest Governors’ Forum under Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu SAN, in their quests to armed the Southwest Security Network, AMOTEKUN Corps and other State Vigilantes, with sophisticated weapons to enable them combat Bandits who are kidnapping and killing people in the country.
_COMMUNIQUE DRAFTING COMMITTEE:_
1. Ayo Falana (State Information Chapel)
2. Damilola Akinmolayan (Owena Press Chapel)
3. Segun Giwa (Correspondents’ Chapel)