A community in Ogun State has been reportedly thrown into mourning after a family of six was discovered dead in the early hours of Saturday.
According to reports, the source of their death is suspected food poisoning after a wall gecko had allegedly walked on their food.
The victims have been identified as Mr. Adeleke John Samuel, a chartered accountant; his wife, two children, and two other relatives.
A source told The Eagle that they are believed to have died after eating food on which the wall gecko trampled.
The sad event was uncovered when their gateman, Mr. Lawal Ojo suspected the unusual quietness in the house at full break of day.
He alerted the neighbours who broke into the house only to discover the bodies of the victims in different rooms.
They were all in the sleeping posture, the source said, indicating that they probably passed on in their sleep.
According to an eyewitness: Mrs. Ifenatuora Ijeoma, the poison might have been ingested in the course of the family’s dinner the night before.
She reiterated that, on close inspection of the kitchen utensils, a dead wall gecko was discovered inside a pot of soup by one of the neighbours.
Wall Gecko, a small slippery house lizard native to South East Asia has at different times, been associated with lethal food poisoning.
Geckos are ordinarily harmless. However, experts believe the lizard carries lots of bacteria in the mouth which can cause serious harm when ingested by humans.