The House of Representatives has screened and confirmed the presidential designates to the Board and Management of the Niger Delta Development Commission.
The designates appeared before the House ad-hoc committee mandated to conduct the screening on Thursday.
President Bola Tinubu had written to the House of Representatives, to ratify the Niger Delta Development Commission’s chairman and its governing board, acting in compliance with section 2(2) of the Niger Delta Development Commission (Establishment etc.) Act.
The President endorsed Mr. Chiedu Ebie for the position of NDDC board chairman alongside 16 other people for the commission’s board.
Speaking on Thursday, the Chairman of the House Committee on NDDC, Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, charged the designates to justify the confidence reposed in them by President Bola Tinubu, saying.
“Now, more than ever before, the NDDC needs visionary leaders with integrity to drive the discharge of the commission’s mandate, to translate to tangible impact on the lives of the people and communities in the Niger Delta.”
The screening exercise featured presentations by Mr. Chiedu Ebie and Dr. Samuel Ogbuku, NDDC Chairman and Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer designates respectively, who shared details of their respective career trajectories, and vision for the commission.
Subsequently, the Deputy Minority Leader of the House, Ali Isa, moved the motion for the designates to take a bow in deference to the fact that the Senate had similarly screened and confirmed the designates, and also in consideration of the fact that some of the designates are former parliamentarians.
The motion was seconded by Deputy Leader of the House, Abdullahi Ibrahim Halims, and unanimously carried by the committee.
Consequent to the ad-hoc committee’s resolve to confirm all the designates, the National Assembly is expected to immediately transmit its resolution to the Presidency, having effectively fulfilled Section 2 (2) (a) of the NDDC Act, which prescribes that the nominees must be screened and confirmed by the Senate in consultation with the House of Representatives.
The designates confirmed are:
- Mr. Chiedu Ebie, Chairman, Delta State
- Dr. Samuel Ogbuku, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Bayelsa
- Mr. Boma lyaye, the Executive Director, Finance and Admin, Rivers
- Mr.Victor Antai Executive Director Projects, Akwa-Ibom
- Otito Atikase Executive Director, Corporate Services, Ondo
- Dimaro Denyanbofa, State Representative Bayelsa
- Mr. Abasi Nkono, State Representative Akwa-Ibom
- Monday Igbuya, State Representative Delta,
- Tony Okocha, State Representative Rivers
- Patrick Aisowieren, State Representative Edo
- Mr.Kyrian Uchegbu, State Representative Imo
- Ifedayo Abegunde, State Representative Ondo
- Dimgba Eruba, State Representative Abia
- Orok Otu Duke, State Representative Cross River
- Nick Wende, Zonal Representative North Central
- Namdas Abdulrazak, Zonal Representative North East
- Dr.Ibrahim Abdullahi Gobir, Zonal Representative North West.
According to the House leader, Prof. Julius Inhovbere, the designates are charged with the responsibility to chart a new course for the very critical interventionist agency and be just and fair to all the communities. He further charged the designates to be guided by the fear of God and respect for the constitution in the discharge of their duties.
“Nigerians expect to be proud of your achievements. You all owe the duty to Nigerians to perform.” Justice for all is justice for one, and justice for one is justice for all,” he said.